Kaiser software recs
- 1 Introduction
- 2 What This Page Is
- 3 Useful Links
- 4 Software
- 4.1 User Interfaces
- 4.2 Multimedia & Entertainment
- 4.3 Productivity & Communications
- 4.4 Email/SMS/Contacts/Calendar
- 4.5 Connectivity
- 4.6 Utilities
- 4.7 Other
- 5 From here down should be checked for duplicates and sorted out
- 6 Windows Mobile ROMs and radios:
- 7 Thanks & Contributions
What This Page Is
- This page is designed to be a list of applications that are useful to a Kaiser owner whether they've had their device for 1 day or 6 months, but is geared more towards new Kaiser owners. If you post software here, please post a link to a thread on XDA about that software or post a link to the webpage of the developer. This may eventually evolve to being a list of recommended software for any WM6 user though, but this started from the Kaiser community and what software apps that they commonly use and recommend.
What This Page Is NOT
- This is not designed to be a repository of .cab files
- This is not designed to be a major review site of software
- This is not designed to be the ultimate location of all WM6 apps available. Go to sites like Freeware PocketPC, FreewarePPC, or PocketPC Freeware for all PPC apps.
Useful Kaiser Info
- FAQ with G.W.E.N.I.
- Kaiser Radio Wiki
- Kaiser Wiki at HTCwiki
- Kaiser Wiki at XDA
- Original G.W.E.N.I.
- Search Options
- Flashing your First Rom (For Noobs)
- Google Android and Linux for KAISER!!
- AllTheWay's Downloads
- All The Latest HTC Software - In One Post
- askajoke99.com cabs - broken link
- dutty's Collection of the Latest Cabs for Kaisers - broken link
- P1Tater's Downloads
- XDA-Live Tilt Addon Files
Today Replacements & Shells
- Cube Wiki| (free) - Lots of Cubes out there but I prefer Slither's C++ Cube
- HTC Home (free) - Today screen replacement that is characterized by a big clock at the top with icons underneath. This is the default Today screen on the HTC branded Kaiser.
- HTC Home Customizer (free) - This is pretty much an essential application if you are using HTC's Home. I prefer v1.0 over v1.05b though because v1.0 allows you to preview the changes before exiting the program.
- PointUI (free) - A very slick Today screen replacement that is regarding as one of those WinMo "wow" apps
- Spb Mobile Shell (pay) - A common Today replacement
- Skybox (pay)
- ThrottleLauncher (free) - A UI developed by an XDA member
- Ultimate Launch(er)
- Wisbar Advanced Desktop (pay)
- Manila Thank you Denco7 for the great update.
Plugins & Other Interface Programs
- BatteryStatus (free)
- Batti (free) - Puts a small line at the top of the Today screen indicating remaining battery charge. - Warning - Batti drains batteries due to incorrect refresh rate on WM6. Author has been contacted and no response received.
- S2U2 (Slide 2 Unlock 2) (free) - A application that mimics the iPhone's Slide2Unlock app
Start Menu Replacements
- Dotfred's Start Menu service (free) - Does exactly the same as QuickMenu
- QuickMenu| (free) - A great Start Menu replacement that makes it behave more like a desktop Windows Start Menu. A cab can be found here
- WisBar Advanced (pay) - Start Menu replacement and task manager as well
Keyboards & Skins
- HTC Diamond Skin for HTC Home| or here
- HTC Diamond Keyboard
- HTC Touch Keyboard
- PCM Keyboard (free)
- Resco Keyboard (pay) - Light, skinnable keyboard with builtin multilingual keyboard layouts
- TouchDual Dialer (free) - A popular dialer skin that is included in dutty's ROMs
- TouchPal (pay) - Another installable keyboard that is pretty popular and highly recommended
- SPB Weather (pay) - Very customizable weather app with today-plugin included. Integrates with other SPB apps
- WeatherPanel| (pay) / or Weather Panel (free). Truth is, the app USED TO BE paid but the developer disappeared a few years ago and enthusiasts have taken over the development.
- Weather Watcher Mobile v1.03 (free)
- SPB Traveler (paid) - replaces and elaborates upon SPB Weather, above.
- WeatherBug (Free) - Places the temperature on the top bar and then shows the weather at the bottom. Also provides severe weather alerts.
Multimedia & Entertainment
Video (Usually plays music as well)
- CorePlayer (pay) - The for-pay descendant of TCPMP. Features QTV support, which allows it to play video files smoother on older ROMs.
- Flash Bundle for YouTube Videos
- TCPMP (free) - A very popular media player. Use this and the Flash Bundle for YouTube Videos below to play YouTube videos.
- youtubeplay (free) - Strictly plays Youtube videos.
- Windows Media Player - Builtin app
- GSPlayer (free) - dedicated music player
- HTC Audio Manager - builtin app
- MortPlayer (free)
- S2P (Slide 2 Play) (free) - Another iPhone like app but this is just for playing music files
- VipPimRingTone (free) - Turns mp3's into ringtones and assigns ringtone to entire categories.
- Doom (free)
- Duke Nuked 3D & Wolfenstein (free)
- The (Java) MIDlet Bible
- Quake & Quake II (free)
- Warcraft II (free)
- Chess (free)
- S2V (Slide 2 View) (free)
Productivity & Communications
Instant Messaging/VoIP/Internet Calling
- JiveTalk (free) - A very pretty IM client with an iChat like interface that is in alpha stages for WinMo
- [www.shapeservices.com/en/products/details.php?product=im IM+] (pay)
- Fring this will handle skype calls and just about any type of IM chat there is.
- Palringo (free)
- Skype (free) - Should be obvious...
- Windows Mobile Instant Messaging Bible
- SPB Wallet (paid) - AES-encrypted vault for all sensitive data like passwords, sizes, registration keys, account numbers, etc.
- eWallet (paid) - same as SPB Waller, above
- CodeWalletPro (paid) - same as SPB Wallet/eWallet above. Matter of personal preference
- KeePass PPC (free) - Same as above.
- SPB Finance| (paid) - pocket financial manager. Allows for OTG data entry (ATM, purchases, money transfers) and synchronises with MS Money/Intuit Quicken if desired. Integrates with other SPB software. Also has many equivalents, see HERE (most are paid TMK)
- Agenda One (pay) - Another popular and feature rich Outlook replacement
- Agendus(pay) - Powerful PIM application
- Pocket Informant (pay) - A very popular Outlook replacement
- FingerFriendlyFriends (pay)
- iContacts (free) - An iPhone style contact manager for WinMo
- Pocket Contact Manager (free)
- ThumbCal (free) - A very good companion to FingerFriendlyFriends or iContacts to do most Outlook type tasks without a stylus
- Safe Inbox Extender (free) - A program that will add Delete All and Mark All As Read options to Pocket Outlook
- Minimo (free) - A free Firefox based mobile web browser.
- Netfront (pay) - A pretty advanced internet browser with lots of functions.
- Opera Mini (free) - Another Opera product, but this one renders the pages elsewhere and then transmits them to the phone to display.
- Opera Mobile (pay) - The most popular PIE replacement browser. Renders the webpages on the phone itself.
- Skyfire (free) - A promising web browser. This very well may be the norm for web browsing in the future.
- BT AudioToggle (free)
- Peekpocket (free) - Wifi Scaner that can be run without installation.
- WiFiFoFum (pay) - A nice WiFi scanner for war driving/walking
- WMWiFiRouter (pay) - Turn your phone into a wireless router
Configuration - With both of these applications, you should be able to do many of the common and useful customizations and registry tweaks
- PIMBackup (free) - Very useful to back up PIM data
- SPB Backup (pay) - SPB counterpart to Sprite backup
- Sprite Backup (pay) - Powerful backup solution for all types of files (PIM, files, settings,...)
- Dotfred's Task Switcher (free) - Powerful task switcher
- Dotfred's Task Manager (free)
- CeRegEditor (free) - Windows app with lots of functions
- PHM Registry Editor (free) - PPC based registry editor
- Resco Explorer (pay) - 'Includes' Files Explorer, basic info app
- HTC Zip
- Pocket Rar (free) - Winrar's little brother for PPC
- CoPilot Live (pay)
- FreeCaddie (free) - A free golf range finder using your phone's GPS. Download courses to your phone (or create course file on their website if your course doesn't exist yet).
- Google Maps (free) - A free program that will give you directions to a destination via GPS, but doesn't include any text to speech options.
- iGuidance (pay)
- iGo 8 (paid)
- Microsoft Live Search (free)
- Navitel Navigator (pay) - A popular RU, BY, UA languages GPS software.
- TomTom Navigator (pay) - A popular GPS software. There are some taster edition cabs floating around in the software repositories above.
- TrackMe (free)
- VisualGPSce (free) - A a great utility to see the status of your GPS. Choose COM4 as your GPS device and 9600 baud.
- Mobipocket Reader (free) - a very nice eBook reader. Uses its own format but also understands standard ones like txt or htm. Has both WinMo and PC versions and a complement in the form of Mobipocket Creator that allows one to create own eBooks.
- MS Reader (free) - not very good but about the only one that understand the .lit format. Development for WinMo stopped in late 2005 (but still works OK).
- All Extracted HTC Apps
- HTC Random Access (free) - Adds a vertical search line in the contacts application
- Microsoft Voice Commander - There is also a great definitive guide
- Cyberon Voice Commander
- RunEveryday (free) - A cool little app that will schedule your phone to do things such as turn your phone radio off at 11pm at night and turn back on at 8am the next morning.
- SASHIMI (free) - This is a program that will allow you to place cabs on a storage card and when you flash a new ROM, it'll prompt you which programs to install from that storage card.
- Tilt Keyboard Fix (free) - Install this if you have an AT&T Tilt and you have flashed a non-AT&T ROM onto your Tilt.
- MyChime by fishbuzz (free - donations via paypal accepted) - Hourly chimes with hour counter and half hour announcer - all three are optional. mp3, wav, wma, aac tested. User configurable.
From here down should be checked for duplicates and sorted out
- How to assign a shortcut to EndKey, SendKey, Power Button, PTT Button
- Setup Blackberry connect for the AT&T Network
- Increasing TouchFLO's sensitivity
- Remap PTT button on Tilt
- KaiserTweak- A collection of useful registry tweaks by Chainfire
- Tilt Keyboard Fix (for Tilt devices when using HTC based ROMs)
- TyTN II Keyboard Fix (for TyTN II devices when using AT&T based ROMs)
- Pocket Internet Explorer (PIE) slow scrolling (use cab)
- Low FPS Camera Temporary fix
- Internet Sharing over Wi-Fi
- Internet Sharing over Wi-Fi (ICS Control)
- Kaiser SIM-Unlocker
- Kaiser SuperCID & Security Unlocker
- NEW! Integrated SIM/CID unlocker (Best Solution)
- FlashVideoBundle - watch YouTube and other video streaming site
- Sliding Sounds - Edit/Add sliding sounds to your Kaiser
- Read the Definitive Guide to Microsoft Voice Command (MSVC)
- SASHIMI - All in one installer tool. Don't manually set up everything after reflashing your ROM!
- TCPMP version that works on WM6.1 when other versions don't
Themes, Skins & Wallpaper 2
- Custom Animated Themes on Startup
- WMP Skins
- S2U2 v1.00
- Configuring TomTom 6
- Stop TomTom 6 from starting with every soft reset
- Using both internal/external GPS without hard reset - Registry entries (pg. 12 from link above)
- TomTom 7
- Settings for the external GPS (pg. 1)
- Kaiser GPS Enhancement Guide
- Kaiser Shipped ROM's
External Freeware Sites
Cab Collection Threads
- Nadavi's All the Latest HTC Software - in one post
- Patr!k's All Extracted HTC Apps (cabs and oem included)
- Kyphur's XDA-Live Tilt Addon Files
Dead but link kept in case it comes back.
Programs / Tools
- nueLED - Change the LED light actions for the Kaiser
- HTCClassAction.org - Direct3D video driver project for the Kaiser along with a petition to get working drivers out of HTC
Flashing Custom Splash Screens
Windows Mobile ROMs and radios:
- Available Cooked ROM Versions
- Available Original Shipped ROM Versions
- Reconstructed ROMs in other Languages
- Roms in Dutch language only
- Extracted Radio Upgrade - discussion thread
- HTC Kaiser Hard-SPL v1 - CID Unlock & Flash any ROM to your device (4 free)
- HTC Kaiser HardSPL v3.xx - CID Unlock & Flash any ROM to your device. For Windows Mobile 6.1 ROMs ONLY
- Kaiser Sim Unlocker
- NEW Integrated SIM/CID unlocker
- Kaiser SuperCID and Security Unlocker* HardSPL with AT command mode support
- XDA PagePool Patcher v1.4
- Cross Platform Pagepool Changer
- Kaiser ROM Kitchen|, latest updates found here
- KaiserCook v1 Yardie.Spike's Kitchen can be found here
- Kaiser ROM Kitchen Tutorial
- Kaiser Cooking Guides for the Ultimate Noob - SCREENCASTS!
- How to dump HTC Kaiser ROM
- How to Reconstruct dumped Kaiser ROM
- Kaiser Language Templates
- Kaiser OEM Package Tutorial - How to convert CABs to OEM packages & create OEM packages from an extracted ROM.
- Kaiser BaseROMs* OEM Packages + Folders
ROM Cooking Tools
- UUID Generator
- Dark Simpson's HTC ROM Tool
- Bepe & Ervius BuildOS* Package_Tools
- itsme's ROM tools
- evalu8t0r's Cab2OEM