Minimize to system tray (Thunderbird)
Thunderbird cannot minimize itself to the system tray. However, you could try one of these solutions. If you're running Microsoft Windows:
- MinimizeToTray Plus Most popular. It also supports Linux.
- MinimizeToTray revived
- Minimize On Start and Close Made to fit the Windows 7 taskbar.
- MinimizeToTray used to be the most popular solution, but its no longer actively developed and doesn't support Thunderbird 3.*. There is a Minimize To Tray Enhancer extension that adds more features to it.
With the following utilities you can minimize not only Thunderbird, but any program to the system tray.
Email notification utilities
Some email notification utilities for Microsoft Windows that support the system tray:
- Fastcheck (Fastmail)
- Gmail notifier
- Notifier2 (GMail, Hotmail, Yahoo, Ymail or Rocketmail)
- Pop Peeper
- Pop Tray
New Mail Attention adds support for a message filter action to call attention to the main window when a new message arrives. It supports several operating systems and the MinimizeToTray Plus add-on.
- Forum thread about using Thunderbird as a pseudo shell, using MinimizeToTray Plus and FiltaQuilla add-ons.