On Monday, July 14, 2008, WordPress version 2.6, was released to the public. For information on the bug-fixes and enhancements in this version, see Changelog for 2.6.
For Version 2.6, the database version (db_version in wp_options) changed to 8201.
New User Features
- Version/revision saves a copy of a post every time you edit it, allows you to view (not edit) each of those copies (revisions), Shows forward (in time) diffs between any two revisions.
- Display captions of images alongside them in posts and pages.
- Add paging of Themes in Design panel
- Word Count displayed when writing and editing posts and pages
- Press This bookmarklet
- Add sorting to gallery
- Export/import post excerpts
- Theme Previewer
- Check (assigned) Categories at top Category box in Write/Manage Post
- Show when a term is both a tag and a category
- Wider Profile fields
- TinyMCE 3.1
- Two categories can have sub-categories with the same name
- The default meta boxes on the post, page, and link edit page can be removed and replaced. They can be added via add_meta_box()
- Support for Google Gears managed offline storage
- Latest JQuery update
- Allow wp-config.php to exist one level up from WordPress root directory. New file wp-load.php designates location of wp-config.php file.
- WP_CONTENT_DIR - full path
- WP_CONTENT_URL - full url
- WP_PLUGIN_DIR - full path
- WP_PLUGIN_URL - full url
- WP_LANG_DIR - full path
- Deprecated constants declared with limited backwards compatibility.
- MUPLUGINDIR (WPMU 2.6+ only)
- Add current_category option to wp_list_categories()