On November 21, 2014, WordPress 4.0.1 was released to the public. This is a security update for all previous WordPress versions.
To download WordPress 4.0.1, update automatically from the Dashboard > Updates menu in your site's admin area or visit https://wordpress.org/download/release-archive/.
For step-by-step instructions on installing and updating WordPress:
If you are new to WordPress, we recommend that you begin with the following:
- New To WordPress - Where to Start
- First Steps With WordPress or Upgrading WordPress Extended
- WordPress Lessons
From the announcement post:
- Three cross-site scripting issues that a contributor or author could use to compromise a site.
- A cross-site request forgery that could be used to trick a user into changing their password.
- An issue that could lead to a denial of service when passwords are checked.
- Additional protections for server-side request forgery attacks when WordPress makes HTTP requests.
- An extremely unlikely hash collision could allow a user’s account to be compromised, that also required that they haven’t logged in since 2008 (I wish I were kidding).
- WordPress now invalidates the links in a password reset email if the user remembers their password, logs in, and changes their email address.
List of Files Revised
readme.html wp-admin/about.php wp-admin/includes/class-wp-plugin-install-list-table.php wp-admin/includes/image.php wp-admin/includes/plugin-install.php wp-admin/includes/post.php wp-admin/js/editor-expand.js wp-admin/js/editor-expand.min.js wp-admin/js/media.js wp-admin/js/media.min.js wp-admin/plugin-install.php wp-admin/press-this.php wp-admin/upload.php wp-includes/canonical.php wp-includes/class-phpass.php wp-includes/css/media-views-rtl.css wp-includes/css/media-views-rtl.min.css wp-includes/css/media-views.css wp-includes/css/media-views.min.css wp-includes/formatting.php wp-includes/http.php wp-includes/js/media-grid.js wp-includes/js/media-grid.min.js wp-includes/js/media-views.js wp-includes/js/media-views.min.js wp-includes/js/mediaelement/flashmediaelement.swf wp-includes/js/mediaelement/mediaelement-and-player.min.js wp-includes/js/quicktags.js wp-includes/js/quicktags.min.js wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/wpeditimage/plugin.js wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/wpeditimage/plugin.min.js wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/wpview/plugin.js wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/wpview/plugin.min.js wp-includes/js/tinymce/wp-tinymce.js.gz wp-includes/kses.php wp-includes/link-template.php wp-includes/media-template.php wp-includes/media.php wp-includes/ms-functions.php wp-includes/pluggable.php wp-includes/post.php wp-includes/session.php wp-includes/user.php wp-includes/version.php wp-login.php